8/15/2006

european vacation (1994)

untitled
Church Interior, Paris

If I do put this up for sale, first question will be: Which Church is it?

It would be nice if I knew but how do people do it when they come back with thousands of negatives - or captures - and ten years later they can tell you the name of the Church. At any rate I'll just say "a rose by any other name would still smell..." or something like that.

untitled
Paris, Park

But let's take a little time to visit the country that American's love so much. My time in Paris was heaven. I lived for two weeks in a tiny room in Pigalle? section - or wherever the cheap rooms were. I had a hot plate and bought my own stuff at the local bodega - and cooked in my room. I had one meal in a restaurant. I'm sure I missed most of the tourist hot spots. I would just walk out of the hotel and just like in NYC I'd wander around.

The morning light in Paris is special. Sometimes, usually around the beginning of Fall in New York when there is that nip in the air and a light mist - I feel like I'm back in Paris.

2 comments:

SteveR said...

Hi Dave,

I love your photos of Paris - despite the crappy politics of the French government (la politique du mèrde de la République Française,) I cannot deny that Paris is a beautiful and an amazing city. I visited several times in the late '70s when I was working for GE & travelling to Europe almost monthly - also, we went there on our honeymoon (lune de miel.)

But getting down to business, I am fairly sure that the photo of the church taken from inside through the doors is 'La Madeleine' or 'L'église de St-Marie-Madeleine'.

La Madeleine is at the end of the somewhat long block between just north of Place de la Concorde.

Here is a photo of the front of the building: http://www.parisvacationshotels.com/fiche/madeleine.html and here is a photo taken from inside towards Place de la Concord: http://pics.bothner.com/2004/Paris2/Paris221large.html

Does it look familiar?

Best regards,
SteveR

Dave Beckerman said...

Steve - I've been to Paris three times . It's really the only European city I know at all. And I love it.

Given my New York centric vision - I think of it as a better version of NYC.

Anyway - I'm not sure about the church. It was at the end of a long street - but I don't remember it being that big - or having all the pillars.

I do remember that it was being repaired and I think I have a shot of the exterior of the church on the same strip. I'll have to look because someone is going to want to know what church it is.