8/15/2005

Trigger Winder

You know, the trigger winder for the R2A / R3A ain't bad. Can you shoot faster with it? I'm not sure, but it is stealthier since you don't see the film being advanced. I'm practicing pulling the lever and being able to focus with the same hand, ie. without removing my left hand from the winder. That is a challenge but it is possible. The main thing is to make sure you don't poke yourself in the stomach with the lever.

My Canon lenses are migrating back into the used market. I don't expect I'll use it until the next turn of the cycle - probably in two or three years. I don't actually think that I'll revert - but I have a bad history of spinning through various equipment.

Perhaps there is a group called Camera Sellers Anonymous that I can join.

"Hi. My name is Dave Beckerman. I am a compulsive camera recycler."
"Hi Dave"
"I guess it began about fifty years ago when my mom gave me a brownie. After a few months I read about the Instamatic and I wanted one... rom there I went to the harder stuff: Pentax Spotmatic; Canon AE1... and so on and so on. I admit that I am helpless and call on a higher power to release me from this compulsive behavior..."

2 comments:

hrtl media said...

It seems that many photographers have the gear pest.
strangely, some stuff of mine went after a few weeks only,
maybe months.
cameras may get sold for one reason or the other, (how
many cameras does one really need?) but it occured to me
more than once, that I happen to like one cam in particular
and buy the same thing all over.
within a year I'm on a 2nd AE-1 and a 2nd 10D - go figure.
I used to have a Leica R system for a while and absolutely
hated it. An Elan 7 lasted 2 months - tops.

I'm thinking to get rid of my Rolleiflex next, this camera just
doesn't see much use (right, I just bought a Beattie screen)...
I love the huge negative and tonality though.

The M6 had the longest lifespan so far, and I really expect to
keep it for a long time.

Dave Beckerman said...

I used the Canonet for over a year (no other cameras) - until it broke.

Leicas - back and forth with. I may have had three separate runs with them.

Rolleiflex TLR - lots of usage.

But at one point or other I've been through the B&H catalogue.

Worst experiences: Pentax 67 and Pentax 645. Absolutely hated the 645. Thought the lenses were all soft.

Best experiences: early Canon SLRs (manual focus); Canonet (how brilliant that it was smart enough not to shoot with the lens cap on); Mamiya 6 RF (loved it but didn't really use it as a "street camera" more as a glorified view camera).

Can't even remember them all though I once made a list of cameras used somewhere in the blog.

Only major camera system I never used was Hassy. Tried it for a couple of days (rental) but it didn't do anything for me.